How to Move to CanadaEverything you need to know, from two people who’ve done it.
Your passport isn’t enough to allow you to move to Canada.
If you’re looking to immigrate to Canada, there are a number of pathways to permanent residency and citizenship.
Serious about moving?
Get the full story in our book, with everything you need to know about moving to Canada without an immigration attorney, from applying for residency, to getting across the border, and getting settled in your new life.
Exactly how Canada’s skilled worker program works, including how much it cost and the timeline for our application.
A comprehensive list of the documents you’ll need for Express Entry, with or without a spouse.
What comes next?
- Declaring yourself a landed immigrant
- Getting pets across the border
- Moving your things through customs without owing duties
- Getting new IDs, enrolling in health insurance, and getting your SIN
Canada is just like home.
Except for when it’s not. We share what we’ve learned to save you some trouble.
- Healthcare in Canada
- Finding a job in Canada
- Canadian salaries
- Cross-border banking
- Understanding currency conversion
Welcome to Toronto
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, it’s financial capital, and a place where over 50% of residents were born abroad.
- Toronto neighborhood guide for new residents from a New York perspective
- How to rent an apartment in Toronto without a credit history and without getting scammed
- Buying a condo in Toronto as a newcomer without standard documentation
- Setting up your first home in Canada Hydro, metered internet, and how to furnish your apartment.
- How to survive your first Canadian winter It’s really not that bad.
There’s more to being Canadian than watching hockey and saying ‘eh.’
Canada isn’t just a colder US, it’s got a culture and history of it’s own. They’re just too modest to brag about it.
- Becoming a Canadian citizen How long it takes, whether or not you have to give up your US citizenship, and other things you should know before making a decision.
- Kingdom of Canada How exactly did Canada wind up with a queen and what is a dominion?
- Canadian Federal Government A 101 guide to Canadian politics
Overwhelmed?There are so many immigration pathways and scenarios, it can be confusing to figure out the best choice for you — or even what programs you qualify for.
Luckily, we have a simple quiz that will help you sort through the options.
We moved to Canada without an immigration attorney or consultant and you can, too.
Now that we’ve successfully immigrated to Canada from the US using the Express Entry program,
we’re writing the guides we wish we’d had.
This is the only mailing list that won’t send you enough emails.